Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Flashback to 1965 or something like that...

We brought our car in to have the oil changed and the tire drum or whatever it's called changed.

Jimmy decided to go to the best place in town. Pulling into the garage, who do I see? A tiny little woman in coveralls, grey hair, mid 70's sitting down smoking. Who would believe this little woman works all alone fixing up cars for $12 cash.

Nu-uh, not me. I'm a ' have to see it to believe it' kinda girl. I made Jimmy take me with for obvious reasons.

She only takes cash or Visa. Cash gets you a cheaper price. This woman freeking rocks!!!

Jimmy asked her once the car was ready, if we could run to the bank machine to get cash....she said "sure" without hesitation. I asked her if I needed to stay behind as collateral and she snorted!! While I was hairstyling, when clients had to 'go to their car to get their wallets' my big Italian boss made them leave their watch or jacket or something behind.

Total cost = $12. Plus a $3 tip. She wouldn't take anymore than that!!!

16 Comments:

Blogger RACHEL =) said...

THAT'S ONE TOUGH LADY, IF YOU ASK ME!!!! AND TRUSTING TOO, HUH?! =)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an AWESOME lady!
makes me proud to be a woman!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats awesome! Sounds like something out of a movie :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Mara said...

hahaha.
that's funny.
$12 for an oil change?!
good deal!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Ahh to live in Timmins! What a great lady. She should be a Canadian legend!

D

10:56 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow, that's SO awesome! How cool! I need one of her around here! :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

seriously??? How awesome is that!?!!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Just this Girl said...

that's me
old and smoking and charging $12 for an oil change!
bwahahahahaa
you shudda snapped a pic!
oh raina raina...
i need to take a trip to canada!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

what a sweetheart!! aww, how touching.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Shooshoo said...

That is too cool. Think I'll have to get an oil change next time I'm home, so I can see this phenomenon for myself!

On another note, you should check out www.oneredpaperclip.com if you haven't already...the guy is a genious. He started out trading up one red paper clip and now owns a cube van and wants to keep trading til he gets a house!! (sorry, don't know how to make this a link)

10:44 PM  
Blogger Christielli said...

That is so cool.

I love businesses that look/feel out of a totally different era. There are quite a few stores on Yonge St near where I live that are totally like that. Things you don't see any more like sewing machine stores, very small stereo stores and old timey hardware stores. I love it! I hate generic stores that are stale and have no personality.

I guess that's why I hate the suburbs. I either like living in a small town or downtown in the big city.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... uhhh send her my way.. I got charged $90 to change a brake light. Yeah, I'm a sucker.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

That is so funny and what a great deal...I guess it's me and you girl left behind while everyone else is in vegas..(sniff sniff)

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so sweet :)

8:14 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

Man we need a place like that around here!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Awesome deal on the oil change, can be more...cool lady!!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page