Saturday, February 04, 2006

Had a belated birthday dinner at Jimmy's parent's house. The installation of new cupboards collided with my birthday so it needed to be rescheduled. New cupboards were higher on the list of priorities since it was something Jimmy's mom had wanted before Christmas but they couldn't hire anyone who would promise that the kitchen wouldn't be in shambles on Christmas Eve. Anyways, it's cool.....I kinda like spacing birthday dinners apart.



Went to a bridal shower for my cousin Michelle this afternoon. If ever I have a moment of regret for moving back to Timmins from Ottawa, I'll make myself remember that being close by and able to attend family functions like this makes it sooo worth it.

Spent Friday at my aunt's house preparing for the shower. After all the food was made, we sat down and laughed till we cried and chatted late into the night. And this is the norm in my family...I've spent countless days, afternoons, evenings and even a few weekends partying with our family. But those days are coming to an end.

My cousin Michelle is getting married next weekend. That'll mean we'll see a little less of her now that she has to share holidays between two families. I don't blame her. I do the same thing too. But still, I'll miss having her around. Her fiance just returned from a 2 year mission in Guatamala this past October and since then, we've seen significantly less of her.

My cousin Renee is leaving me also next month. She's off to Vancouver BC for 6 months to attend school at the Vancouver Academy of Performing Arts (or whatever the name is.) As excited as I am about the prospect of having a celebrity in my family (and ultimately her falling in love with a leading man and throwing the biggest effing Hollywood party when she gets married) I am sad that she's leaving. However, I officially have a place to stay and a reason to visit BC once she's settled.

My two closest cousins - practically little sisters - are moving on. And I'm the most sensitive geek in the universe. I can't think about all the memories we've shared without getting misty-eyed.

Sunday morning we're off to check out a house for sale. (Why Jimmy booked chose 10am on a day off is beyond me.....Sunday is my day to sleep-in and stay in pj's.)

12 Comments:

Blogger Mara said...

My blogger is acting nutso too...
Aww, favorite people moving away - I understand, but at least you have fun places (and excuses) to visit now! Are you house hunting? Good luck!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Just this Girl said...

blogger was weird yesterday
i was going batty!
love the red balloons!
and is there icing on that cake??

10:33 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Belated birthday dinners are always good!! Getting spoiled again is always welcome!! I don't like the whole sharing holidays with families when you get married. Jared and I aren't even married and we already dealt with it this past Xmas. You know if you're ever in BC visitng you cousin, let me know and we'll get together. It would be tons of FUN!! YAY!!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

DEAR Raina,
You're cute. Just thought that you should know. I have an immensely difficult time leaving old times behind too.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Christielli said...

I'm the same. I get misty eyed at the drop of a hat some days. I mean I get sad at the end of the semester when my classes are finishing and I think "oh, I'm gonna miss these little buggers who drive me crazy.."

3:14 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Raina darlin' I know what you mean... I loved Ottawa, but our families aren't the travelling kind, and we never saw them unless we took trips back to Brockville. You really do miss out on the spontaneous family fun when you are away.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

What else would you expect from a man..hope you like the house

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that your new blonde? Cause it's effin hot!!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANd.. another comment.

OMG A HOUSE!!!! Hopefully the owners will fall in love with yours and Jimmy's story and cut the price in half and totally give it to you!!! Best luck!!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love birthday celebrations! Glad to see you have such special cousins:)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Missing out on family stuff is hard. I've been doing it forever it seems BUT...we have moved back to within 5 hours of the hometown...finally after 20 yrs..and I'm starting to get in on a few things...other than weddings and funerals. Yeah for family!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, birthdays are so much fun!!! Best of luck with the house!

Ciao!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page